Senior Field Service Specialist - Paralleling Switchgear
- Post Date:February 25, 2021
- Views 452
- Offerd Salary $50,000+Career Level ProfessionalExperience 5 Years
- Gender BothINDUSTRY ManufacturingQualification Associate Degree
- Security Clearance Req. No
Senior Field Service Specialist – Switchgear
Location: Work from home and travel! Home base in North East US or Western US (Utah, Nevada, California) or close to a major airport preferred.
Are you a self-starter with successful experience repairing and commissioning paralleled generators, switchgear, alternators or other electrical power distribution equipment? Are you proficient in PLC programming and troubleshooting? If so, Kohler Power Systems has an excellent opportunity for you!
Kohler Co., one of the largest power generator manufacturers in the world, has delivered energy solutions worldwide since 1920. Kohler offers power generation equipment for residential, industrial, mobile and marine applications as well as automatic transfer switches, switchgear, monitoring controls and accessories. For more information about Kohler Co. and Kohler Power Systems, please visit www.kohlerpower.com.
The Sr. Field Service Specialist provides superior world class technical support to distributors/customers and conduct preventative maintenance, system upgrades, and start-ups for the entire KOHLER generator paralleling switchgear product line. This position will require 50-70% domestic and international travel.
- Provide technical support to Distributors, Direct Customers, Electrical & General Contractors, as well as internal customers.
- Create cases to track open issues and ensure timely resolutions for all customer requests.
- Independently verify system operation, conduct operator training, and document site visits, including but not limited to start-ups/commissioning, system modifications, and preventative maintenance.
- Track and provide documentation corrections for proper document revision.
- Assist test team in conducting & documenting factory and customer witness testing.
- Conduct wiring checks to verify control power distribution, component operation, & communication circuits using proper test equipment. (0-125VDC & 0-13.2kVAC)
- Possess advanced knowledge in the use of all PLC, HMI, and other component software programs for proper setup, troubleshooting, and program modification.
- Possess advanced knowledge in the operation of control components including but not limited to PLC, HMI, metering, protective relays, circuit breakers, etc. per contract documents.
- Independently verify correct operation of all communication circuits including but not limited to Ethernet (TCP/IP), RS232/485, Modbus, Modbus+, fiber, BACnet, customer SCADA systems, etc.
- Work with KOHLER distributors (and third-party vendors as needed) to verify operation of generators, ATS’s, remote annunciators and other devices connected to generator paralleling systems.
- Manage onsite project vendors and activities to ensure efficient/successful startup/upgrade.
- Maintain documentation, customer signoffs, trip reports, drawings, sequence of operation, component serial numbers, system setpoints, software/firmware versions, etc.
- Possess a superior understanding of the functionality of all components within and connected to switchgear systems, including but not limited to generator/alternator, voltage regulators, generator controllers, automatic transfer switches, etc.
- Strong understanding of how specific load types affect generator performance.
- Properly adjust generator speed and voltage biases for proper synchronizing, loading/unloading, and load sharing.
- Submit customer feedback to quality department to formally track product issues.
- Provide feedback regarding design of switchgear systems, PLC and HMI programming, circuit design, sequence of operation, etc.
- Provide solutions to issues and possess superior knowledge to modify component programming (PLC/HMI, etc.) with little assistance from engineering.
- Understand scope of work prior to site visits. Review submittals & orders, system schematics, wiring diagrams, sequence of operation, component manuals, etc.
- Manage costs related to onsite work, including but not limited to travel and expense.
- Mentor SFS specialists, provide feedback on progress and any potential training gaps.
- Review and process switchgear warranty claims.
- Understand governing codes related to industries where generator paralleling systems are installed (i.e. – NFPA110, etc.).
- Perform generator paralleling switchgear inspections.
- Create and update product and department procedures.
- Create training documentation for internal and external customers.
- Complete day to day activities with no supervision.
- Lead by example.
- Work on special projects as required.
- Must be hard-working, a self-starter, reliable, customer focused, organized, quality driven, & resourceful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work effectively cross-functionally to resolve customer issues.
- BS in Electronics, Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology preferred. High school diploma is required.
- 5+ years’ experience in testing of transfer switches, protective relays, generator paralleling switchgear and/or other electrical power distribution equipment is required.
- Proven advanced experience in the operation, troubleshooting and modification of PLC and HMI programming is required.
- Ability and wiliness to travel 50-70% domestically and internationally. Approximately 15% of that is international travel.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US without requiring sponsorship now or in the future.
Why Work at Kohler Co.?
Kohler Co.’s mission is to contribute to a higher level of gracious living for those who are touched by our products and services. We understand that it takes investment in our associates’ development to make that happen. So, we offer ongoing investment in each individual’s personal development and the opportunity to collaborate with others across functions and roles at Kohler.
In addition to the investment in your development, Kohler offers a benefits package including a competitive salary, health, vision, dental, 401(k) with company matching, and more!
Beyond the competitive benefits and compensation, Kohler proudly offers a rich history, steeped in creativity and a commitment to our associates and communities. We invite you to learn more about our culture and company at www.kohlercompany.com.
It is Kohler’s policy to recruit, hire, and promote qualified personnel in all job classifications without regard to race, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability or veteran status. If, as an individual with a disability, you need reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com. Kohler Co. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.